Makes 11-12 mini cacao vegan cupcakes (or 20 truffles if preferred). These are alkaline and incredibly healthy (as far as a delicious dessert goes!)
Ingredients for vegan cupcakes:
- 250g of walnuts
- 2 heaped tbsp cacao powder
- half a tsp of cinnamon powder
- 1/8 tsp of sea salt
- 10 large pitted dates
- 1 tsp of vanilla paste (or vanilla essence)
Ingredients for the chocolate frosting:
- 1/4 cup honey (add or reduce depending on sweetness preference)
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or paste
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- Strawberries for decoration
- Combine and blend together the walnuts, cacao powder, cinnamon and sea salt.
- Process until ground (but not too fine) and then add dates and vanilla.
- Continue blending….
- Test and see if the cake mix is beginning to stick together when pressed, if not add a few more dates and a little splash of water then process again.
- Spoon cake mix into small cupcake cases and arrange onto a plate.
- DON’T bake these vegan cupcakes! All you need to do is place in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours to chill and set and then hey presto you’re ready for the frosting to be applied!
- Combine chocolate frosting ingredients in the following order: Honey, avocado, vanilla and cacao.
Almost there …
- Blend on a high speed setting until mixture creamy and thick.
- Add a tablespoon or two of water to your frosting to help it mix if required.
- Spoon on the chocolate frosting over each cupcake
- Decorate if you like. I used strawberries but any other berries are equally yummy!
- Refrigerate until ready to serve and await shocked reaction when you tell people about the avocado ingredient!! (Dip fresh strawberries in any remaining chocolate frosting!)